100th Day of School with Aging App and Shaving Cream Snowmen!

Today's post is a catch-up post to tell you about 3 fun projects we've been working on in 2nd grade! First up, is a super cute writing project I do every year for the 100th Day of School.

I love the 100th Day of School because it is a great milestone for all of the progress that has been made during the school year. One of my favorite 100th Day activities is a writing project called “When I am 100 years old…” We begin with the phrase as a sentence starter and students' imaginations go wild! To spice up my students’ writing, I use an app on my iPhone called AgingBooth to transform my students into grandmas and grandpas! OH MY! We certainly get a kick out of this app!! Here are a few examples:

100th Day of School: Writing Activity with the Aging Both App

100th Day of School: Writing Activity with the Aging Both App

100th Day of School: Writing Activity with the Aging Both App

100th Day of School: Writing Activity with the Aging Both App

Aren’t they priceless?! {Student photos shared with parent permission}  

We finally got some decent snow in Ohio, which means we got to do one another one of my favorite activities of the year—shaving cream snowmen!  First, we read Snowmen at Night… loooove this book! {As an added bonus, you can project the digital version of the book for free at www.wegivebooks.org} After reading the story, students wrote rough drafts of their own snowmen at night stories and typed them using Google Docs.  Next, students used construction paper to cut out all of the decorations they wanted to use on their snowman.  And yes, the best way to give your students color options is to dump out all of your construction paper scraps all over the floor! :) 


Next up, let the shaving cream craziness begin! There is not an exact science for this process… basically, just squirt about half a bottle of cheap, white shaving cream into a bowl. Then, squirt in a bottle of liquid Elmer’s glue. Finally, take a spoon and whip it up! Students used plastic spoons to spread the shaving cream onto the black construction paper. They decorated their snowmen with sequins, beads, and the construction paper pieces they cut out earlier. As a final step, I sprinkle some of that super-fine-sparkly-glitter-that-gets-EVERYWHERE-for-17-days-including-your-hair on top of each snowman! The snowmen will be very puffy at first, but if you do this in your classroom, warn your students that some of the puffiness will be gone the next day… just tell they their snowman melted a bit and they will not be as disappointed ;)

Snowmen At Night: Shaving Cream Project

Here are a few of the final creations:

Snowmen At Night: Shaving Cream Project

Snowmen At Night: Shaving Cream Project

Snowmen At Night: Shaving Cream Project

Last, but not least, we started working on our Valentine’s Day projects this week! My class is OBSESSED with technology, which is the reason behind my latest file, All iLove About You. The challenge was for each student to think of 12 reasons why they love their parents and then create a tiny app picture for each reason. Students got a kick out of creating the teeny tiny app pictures! And their reasons are priceless!! I think their projects turned out darling!



All iLove About You: iPhone Writing Activity

All iLove About You: iPhone Writing Activity

All iLove About You: iPhone Writing Activity
{I love this student’s tiny little pictures!}

All iLove About You: iPhone Writing Activity
{Check out #5!!!}

Tomorrow, we are going to mount their creations on 11X18 construction paper for them to take home! I hope their parents like them! For Valentine’s Day, here’s what I’m passing out {with candy attached, of course!}

All iLove About You: iPhone Writing Activity
SaveSave

19 comments

  1. Oh my goodness that app is so stinking cool. My kids would have LOVED it. Definitely keeping that in mind for next year!!! Super cute activities.

    Heidi
    My (Not So) Elementary Life

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE that app...even though it's slightly scary!!

    Welcome back to the blogging world! We've missed you :)

    Halle
    Across the Hall in 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just found your blog through Aimee's giveaway and I am now following you! I would love for you to drop by my blog when you get a chance!
    Patti :)
    A Series of 3rd Grade Events

    ReplyDelete
  4. That app looks so fun!! I'll need to download it for. Ext year :) and I loooove your 12 reasons why iLove you! Adorable!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I found your blog through Pencils, Books, and Dirty Looks giveaway and I am your newest follower. I LOVE the app love projects and the aging pictures. SO cute!
    Jean
    Diving Into 2nd Grade

    ReplyDelete
  6. Adorable "iDea" for Valentine's Day!! :) Those snowmen look so fun. That's one of my favorite books. Great pictures, Kate!

    Kate
    Second Grade Sparkle

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Kate
    First off I can't believe I wasn't already following you. I thought for sure I was..so now it's official. :o) Love the aging booth app...I've seen it before...too cute!
    Vicky
    Traditions, Laughter and Happily Ever After

    ReplyDelete
  8. The snowmen are so cute! Thanks for sharing, I'm your newest follower!
    ✿Sue✿
    Science for Kids Blog

    ReplyDelete
  9. All of these ideas are awesome and I can't wait to use them!!! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. The 100th day is approaching! I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just found your darling blog. I am from OHIO, too. Great ideas...just bought the Aging App. Our kids are dressing up predicting what they will look like when they are 100, so this will be great to use before that day!! We are doing Snowmen At Night this week...thanks for the great ideas~
    Robynn
    BusyBees

    ReplyDelete
  12. Replies
    1. Hi Eileen,

      The link to the app is in the second paragraph above. The app is now free!

      Delete

Back to Top